Tire Monitoring to your Smartphone fobobikesales.com

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
zyoung

Re: Tire Monitoring to your Smartphone fobobikesales.com

Post by zyoung »

V-man says yes. I would say so as well, but I am not the manufacturer and I currently have them installed on rubber stems in the back tires so.... ehhh.... depends if you want to risk breaking a valve stem. Guess I've been lucky this far.

-Zach
"If it is to be, it is up to me." - Noel Mast

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

zyoung wrote::lol:

Quote from Joe Dirt - :toofunny:
HAHAHAHAH SHIT'LL BUFF OUT!!!!!
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
V-MAN

Post by V-MAN »

zyoung wrote:V-man says yes. I would say so as well, but I am not the manufacturer and I currently have them installed on rubber stems in the back tires so.... ehhh.... depends if you want to risk breaking a valve stem. Guess I've been lucky this far.

-Zach
Gator is a distributor for FOBO ... When I researched FOBO for more info they (manf) discourage using their product on rubber stems. I don't know what Gator's opinion is as the distributor ... In any case after seeing the product I wouldn't use them on rubber stems ... But what do I know ... I just want to keep the skin ON my ass thank you!

I'll try and find that info again and ill post a link. It might be a day or two because I'm busier then a one legged man in an ass kicking contest ...
IF YOU TELL THE TRUTH YOU DON'T HAVE TO REMEMBER ANYTHING

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

V-MAN wrote:
zyoung wrote:V-man says yes. I would say so as well, but I am not the manufacturer and I currently have them installed on rubber stems in the back tires so.... ehhh.... depends if you want to risk breaking a valve stem. Guess I've been lucky this far.

-Zach
Gator is a distributor for FOBO ... When I researched FOBO for more info they (manf) discourage using their product on rubber stems. I don't know what Gator's opinion is as the distributor ... In any case after seeing the product I wouldn't use them on rubber stems ... But what do I know ... I just want to keep the skin ON my ass thank you!

I'll try and find that info again and ill post a link. It might be a day or two because I'm busier then a one legged man in an ass kicking contest ...
Interesting Don...
CanuckHoss

hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

I wonder how Ryan Newman's race team devised a way to bleed air from their race car tires while actively racing on the track ?
V-MAN

Post by V-MAN »

Well I wanted to follow up on the metal vs rubber stem like I said. I sent FOBO the question since I could not find it on their site ( I'm sureI saw it there before ). FOBO responded that it is fine to use on rubber stems but have to be careful centrifugal force doesn't create an issue ... that alone tells me that centrifugal force does play on the rubber stems!!! If the rubber stem is continually bending from road forces the rubber WILL fail. I did a quick "search" and found many instances where this has happened using other type TPMS systems where some sort of cap is used ... like FOBO. Here is a post quoted below:

"Important message:

I recently experienced a serious valve stem failure while using the TireGuard pressure monitors which screw onto the valve stem of the wheel.
It seems that they manufacturer, http://www.bigbikeparts.com failed to anticipate the flexing applied to the rubber valve stem due to centrifugal forces encountered when the wheel is rotating at hwy speeds for long periods of time.
I was doing 80mph at the end of a 400mi ride when the rubber, near the base of the valve stem threads, cam apart and caused a sudden loss of pressure on the front tire. No fun. The TireGuard monitors were on my tire for a total of 1600mi when my failure occurred.
I contacted the manufacturer and was told that they have tested these to 150mph. Of course, this test is meaningless unless the test was for a substantial duration to evaluate rubber fatigue. Nowhere on the box did it say that "metal valve stems are required". In fact, the literature says it can be used on all valve stems.
IF anyone is considering using this product, IMHO, you MUST replace the valve stems with all metal ones!
Now this begs the question, does anyone know of a metal valve stem that can be used on the ST 1300 wheels? Has anyone else had a similar experience using this product.
Your collective opinions and comments are most welcome.
Thanks much"

Like I said before, we are all big boys here and can decide how much risk we are OK with. and that level of risk is different for us all. Motorcycling is an inherently dangerous life style/sport ... but I hedge my odds the best I can.

If I were going to use FOBO or TireGuard or any other TPMS system that added weight to the end of my valve stem then my stems would be metal, NOT rubber!

tjy

Post by tjy »

:what_he_said: That is my Monday morning project! Hey Zach!! The wheels come off, gotta watch for Iron Maiden :toofunny: tom

Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

:lol: watch out Tom your 315's might mysteriously shrink to 275 :P

tjy

Post by tjy »

If I ever loose my 315's,,If there borrowed,,At least my exhaust pipes are still bigger!!! :nanner: Then yours!

Hanginon

Post by Hanginon »

OUCH.... That's gonna leave a scratch I think... :whack: :rofl:
tjy wrote:If I ever loose my 315's,,If there borrowed,,At least my exhaust pipes are still bigger!!! :nanner: Then yours!
"It ain't over till the secondaries open"!!!
tjy

Post by tjy »

Jim , It was a really good day except for the Fla trooper that Zach said turned his lights on at 79 mph! He kept going towards you guys!!! Edit: We were heading east,,He went west...

Hanginon

Post by Hanginon »

Nothing a little squirt of nitrous couldn't fix! Fortunately we have friends in that department though as well :-) It was a great day, you're right!! See you real soon I'm sure!
tjy wrote:Jim , It was a really good day except for the Fla trooper that Zach said turned his lights on at 79 mph! He kept going towards you guys!!! Edit: We were heading east,,He went west...
"It ain't over till the secondaries open"!!!
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

A very important question was asked here and never answered by Gator unless I missed it. If so I apologize

If not then what is the manufactures answer to these on non-steel valve stems? Yes or No?

I have a trike set coming and a set for Gwen's car here and need an answer before I proceed

Yhank you
CanuckHoss

V-MAN

Post by V-MAN »

CanuckHoss wrote:A very important question was asked here and never answered by Gator unless I missed it. If so I apologize

If not then what is the manufactures answer to these on non-steel valve stems? Yes or No?

I have a trike set coming and a set for Gwen's car here and need an answer before I proceed

Yhank you

Barry -

Gator didn't answer that question so you did not miss it. I wrote to the manf and the response was " they should work on rubber valve stems BUT you need to watch for flexing". I am sure I saw it somewhere on their site regarding only using on metal stems (before) but was unable to find it now ... maybe the site was changed and that statement removed? Maybe having that statement limits the customer base? I don't know but my gut feeling is only to use on metal stems because the extra weight (no matter how small) WILL flex the rubber and after enough flexing the stem will crack and fail ...

You can search online and find lots of instances where rubber valve stems have failed using TPMS systems that attach to the outside of a valve stem ... like the one I posted. That thread probably had 7 or 8 guys with same experience. I copied the one post because it was more detailed and not just "same thing happened to my ----" Barry if you plan to use these I would highly recomend having metal stems ... that's JMHO and to a friend!

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

V-MAN wrote:
CanuckHoss wrote:A very important question was asked here and never answered by Gator unless I missed it. If so I apologize

Yhank you

Barry -

Gator didn't answer that question so you did not miss it. I wrote to the manf and the response was " they should work on rubber valve stems BUT you need to watch for flexing". I am sure I saw it somewhere on their site regarding only using on metal stems (before) but was unable to find it now ... maybe the site was changed and that statement removed? Maybe having that statement limits the customer base? I don't know but my gut feeling is only to use on metal stems because the extra weight (no matter how small) WILL flex the rubber and after enough flexing the stem will crack and fail ...

You can search online and find lots of instances where rubber valve stems have failed using TPMS systems that attach to the outside of a valve stem ... like the one I posted. That thread probably had 7 or 8 guys with same experience. I copied the one post because it was more detailed and not just "same thing happened to my ----" Barry if you plan to use these I would highly recomend having metal stems ... that's JMHO and to a friend!
Don...

I knew you had answered and answered it really well. I respect your opinion 100% Don.

I am hoping for Gator to respond....liability sits somewhere then. He has been really good with communications with me and sending product. If it is not recommended then I don't want them on the trike as a "blowout" could be disastrous on it as well as on Gwen's car. No use driving defensively if you have things on your vehicle added that could cause all hell to break loose.
CanuckHoss

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

:popcorn: :popcorn:
CanuckHoss

tjy

Post by tjy »

I took my 315's off the trike and they are locked in my truck! they will be taken to a tire shop in the morning for steel valve stems to support the sensors to finish the installation. I feel the steel stems will be very much up to the task!

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

tjy wrote:I took my 315's off the trike and they are locked in my truck! they will be taken to a tire shop in the morning for steel valve stems to support the sensors to finish the installation. I feel the steel stems will be very much up to the task!
Tom..PM sent...
CanuckHoss

zyoung

Post by zyoung »

I took mine off rear the rear tires a while ago until I get metal valve stems. Getting new rear tires soon anyhow.

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

zyoung wrote:I took mine off rear the rear tires a while ago until I get metal valve stems. Getting new rear tires soon anyhow.
Quick question Zach..same size tires???
CanuckHoss

Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

:fling:

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Iron Maiden wrote::fling:
Now I get it...lol....Nothing meant by it....just wondering if the young lad was maybe going to bump up the size a bit...damn..there I go again!
CanuckHoss

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

I am hoping Gator is OK but no answer here does NOT give me the "warm fuzzys"....
CanuckHoss

zyoung

Post by zyoung »

CanuckHoss wrote:
zyoung wrote:I took mine off rear the rear tires a while ago until I get metal valve stems. Getting new rear tires soon anyhow.

Guess that rises the question..... What can I tuck under the rear of a 32 coupe? I may wait a few more months and get new wheels and tires.... leaves me time to ponder on what to get. :ridding:

-Zach

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

zyoung wrote:
CanuckHoss wrote:

Guess that rises the question..... What can I tuck under the rear of a 32 coupe? I may wait a few more months and get new wheels and tires.... leaves me time to ponder on what to get. :ridding:

-Zach
I asked another dealer in Daytona and I don't remember who about bigger tires on a 32...larger diameter overall and I believe that answer was not really to go bigger...larger rims with lower profile tires but not overall taller
CanuckHoss