Transverse V8

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
Steve Taylor

Transverse V8

Post by Steve Taylor »

Anyone got any photos of V8 bikes with the motor mounted across the frame please?
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Re: Transverse V8

Post by Carl La Fong »

Look here. Best looking sidewinder that I've ever seen.

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2009/ ... om-sweden/
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
Steve Taylor

Post by Steve Taylor »

Glyn, my number 1 (and only) employee, after seeing my V8 wants to build one, but with a gearbox.
Attachments
IMG_5398.jpg
IMG_4165.jpg
AR

Post by AR »

AT Brian fucking Fords Boss Hoss Barn opening last December there was a hand crafted transverse job there that was really something - pics below. I was speaking to the owner well into the night (...before I was savagely attacked, but thats another story) and I asked him why so many people in NZ built their own V8 toys. Lots of home built V8 trikes and rat-rods etc rolled up for the barn opening. He reckoned that there were a lot of "poor people" in NZ that still wanted to get into the V8 scene. I was really impressed with their efforts and his chopper and meeting the guy was one of the highlights. Sums up the Kiwi V8 bike spirit for me.

Steve Taylor

Post by Steve Taylor »

Thanks for the pics, keep them coming, Aussie, what happened about you being attacked? :o
AR

Post by AR »

Steve Taylor wrote:Thanks for the pics, keep them coming, Aussie, what happened about you being attacked? :o
haha..maybe the phrase 'savagely attacked' is a bit of an exaggeration, i just had to fend off a very horny kiwi lass who obviously had much too much to drink, and NO she weren't wearing a thick wool coat.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Those female "Roo's" are becoming popular............It's the chase..................

:mrgreen:
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

I'd like to know how the purple bike works. The engine is in the frame backwards, that is, the engine turns clockwise at the crank pulley. This would cause the wheel to turn the wrong way. If you look at all the other sidewinders, the flywheel is always on the left side. Look at EJ potter's bikes or the Swedish bike. There must be a gear driven primary under that big cover on the flywheel side. Nice engineering.
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

Carl La Fong wrote: There must be a gear driven primary under that big cover on the flywheel side. Nice engineering.
Or, it could be a reverse rotation motor. (aka boat engine)
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

Elvis wrote:
Carl La Fong wrote: There must be a gear driven primary under that big cover on the flywheel side. Nice engineering.
That was my first thought, but two problems. 1) Why??? and 2) it uses a stock appearing water pump which will not work in reverse. I'm not a boat guy, so I don't know what the reverse boat engines run for a WP. Electric??. Still, if you look at the bike, a lot of thought and brilliant work went into it. It is a clutch bike. Check out the release arm on the right side, the beautiful cover, etc.
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

Carl La Fong wrote: 1) Why???
:o :lol:
2) it uses a stock appearing water pump
You can see the water pump? Good eye.
Still, if you look at the bike, a lot of thought and brilliant work went into it. It is a clutch bike. Check out the release arm on the right side, the beautiful cover, etc.
I agree, very nice work
carburetormike

Post by carburetormike »

He says it's a street bike. But I think it is more display. What do you do when your sleeve get caught in the blower belt?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1Ky0yIAHZc

Carby Mike
AR

Post by AR »

Carl La Fong wrote:
Elvis wrote:
That was my first thought, but two problems. 1) Why??? and 2) it uses a stock appearing water pump which will not work in reverse. I'm not a boat guy, so I don't know what the reverse boat engines run for a WP. Electric??. Still, if you look at the bike, a lot of thought and brilliant work went into it. It is a clutch bike. Check out the release arm on the right side, the beautiful cover, etc.
Looked into it a bit more for you John...err Carl,and one of my hard assed V8 Kiwi mates gave me the following details...means FA to me but thought you'd be interested, and maybe a little amused;

Ken,me mate built the sidewinder by hand over 20 something years,302 ford dry clutch oil bath primary with hunting tooth H pattern foot shifter 4 speed tranny with real reverse home made frame springer tank fuck you name it every thing.Its a real credit to him.He's got an email address but I don't know it.He'll be at my 53rd birthday party tomorrow night(thanks for your birthday wishes ****) so I'll tell him that half a dozon interested parties that might have trouble understanding the simplist parts want to ask him questions..

Something else I just thought of was that he had to plane the inlet manifold off so it was paralel with the crank and although its a hard tail he has a seat base with about 10 springs on it so that the seat has suspention sort of thing.He gave me the 1st ride on it after him and it rode real good.Its not the hand full you'd think it was looking at it. The lower gears ar'nt nessesary just 3rd and top so you just shift up and down.You stick your foot in a loop and can shift the shifter in an H pattern with reverse hard to the left and down.The tank hinges up to get at the carb and the dash can be raised seperatly and has a tool box under there.The seat has a quick release to get at another tool box and the fuses.If you took any detailed photos study the construction,its awsume.He even made the running boards.The triple trees are all grind by hand for the shape like most parts on the bike.I made a model of the bike from photos for his 50th birthday a couple of years back, its about 500 long all from steel and I used exaust donuts for the tyres made headers from 1/2 inch rod and shit like that.It took me ages but he's a good guy.So there you have it.

Haha...cant print the rest cause the language is a bit harsh but its a pretty good report.

AR.

*** & italics indcate edit by admin by authors request.
AR

Post by AR »

Thats the problem with Kiwi's, once you give them an opportunity to discuss something they just keep coming - telling you how good and clever they are, and how gay and useless everyone else in the world is....haha. Whatever you do Fong dont be offended by the following in fact take it as a compliment, its just part of the risk/fun of going international;

"Now for the 1 & only observent member that noticed that the engine is in the other way than deemed normal to the untrained eye masses.Chain drive primary,gearbox and then the gear driven final drive to pick up the chain to the rear wheel does the reverse thing. Its probably difficult to picture but you can change the final drive ratio in that little sucker as well,like a diff."

Italics indicate edit by admin as requested by author.
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

Aussiefahrt wrote:Thats the problem with Kiwi's, once you give them an opportunity to discuss something they just keep coming - telling you how good and clever they are, and how gay and useless everyone else in the world is....haha. Whatever you do Fong dont be offended by the following in fact take it as a compliment, its just part of the risk/fun of going international;

"Now for the 1 & only observent member that noticed that the engine is in the other way than deemed normal to the untrained eye masses.Chain drive primary,gearbox and then the gear driven final drive to pick up the chain to the rear wheel does the reverse thing. Its probably difficult to picture but you can change the final drive ratio in that little sucker as well,like a diff."

No, why should I take offense. I say nothing but good things about the bike and the beautiful work and for that I am labeled a cock sucker that hasn't the brains to figure it out. Tell your "friend" to blow me.
AR

Post by AR »

Carl La Fong wrote:
Aussiefahrt wrote:Thats the problem with Kiwi's, once you give them an opportunity to discuss something they just keep coming - telling you how good and clever they are, and how gay and useless everyone else in the world is....haha. Whatever you do Fong dont be offended by the following in fact take it as a compliment, its just part of the risk/fun of going international;

No, why should I take offense. I say nothing but good things about the bike and the beautiful work and for that I am labeled a cock sucker that hasn't the brains to figure it out. Tell your "friend" to blow me.

hehe...now youre getting the hang of it. Welcome to rebels :-)
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

Aussiefahrt wrote:
Carl La Fong wrote:

hehe...now youre getting the hang of it. Welcome to rebels :-)

I got it 45 years ago when I started riding, before many of you were a squirt of jizz. I have no respect for someone that is a poser, who has to put on his "biker panties" every morning and go about making an ass of himself. I had brains enough to convert my bike to a Ranger 2 speed, so I think my rudimentary thought process could, if given time, understand the concept of the drive train on the bike in question. I'm not especially thin skinned, but think that a handshake and "How ya doin'", beats a wise assed, arrogant, snotty answer every time. The offer for your "mate" to give me a mustache ride still stands.
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

[quote="W1LDMAN"]hey john. this is good stuff. i know these other two pretty good. i havent had the pleasure of meeting you yet but before things get too far off track i can say that even though these guys do say some weird shit that could easily be taken wrong i know neither really intended to offend. i have known the other two several years and their comments were really intended for each other and fahrt just shared a bit of what they lovingly call "rough and tumble." i get a few of the comms between these two and laugh my ass off reading them and grin when i see i got another one in my e-mail.

All you can read online are words. It's hard to tell if the writer is smiling or flippin' you off. I'll take it with the proverbial grain of salt and assume the guy was testing me for leaks. I leaked. I withdraw the offer for the mustache ride ;)
AR

Post by AR »

Hey Fong,

as you may note I have asked the helpful site admin guy edit the harsher phrazes and language quoted in my posts above to more accurately represent what my NZ mate would have said had he known I was going to share the info with you. As a follow up he also wants to apologize for knowing me :cry: , but he's more than happy to share further details of the machine in question, and having successfully built V8 bikes himself he fully understands the key issues.

Perhaps i shall be a little more careful next time :roll: .

AF.