Car Tire Wheel Options

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
gaston 2005 502
Location: South Texas & Working Around the World, Across The Nation And Up Your Street

Car Tire Wheel Options

Post by gaston 2005 502 »

Well i have decided i want to try a car tire as i really like the more controllable burnouts witnessed in La Crosse. I have 18 inch wheels made by Ego Tripp, the Centaurian model. I really like the wheel design, but have been in touch with Ego Tripp and they do not make a car tire wheel. I contacted the dealer I bought the bike from and he stated to contact Mountain BH as that is where he purchased the wheels, said to speak to Tom. I called and Tom was unavailable and the guy who answered the phone stated Mountain does not offer a car tire wheel. i emailed chopper city and they said they cannot get this design wheel in a car tire wheel. Anyone out there been through this? or are the only car tire wheels available are the ones at Chopper city? any help or experience is appreciated. I would like to keep the wheel design, but might have to change if the car tire urge gets the better of me.

Darryl
Darryl Campbell
AR

Re: Car Tire Wheel Options

Post by AR »

Darryl,

Last year I went down te car-tyre investigation and its my understanding as a general rule you can stick a car tyre on a motorcycle rim but you cant stick a motorcycle tyre on a car rim. I'm not a bead expert but I guess this is proven by all the car tyres currently running around on the factory 15" rim (mine included) and in the past I have seen people use a car tyre on the low profile bike wheels no problem.

The reason I went looking for a car tyre rim is I wanted to keep the 15" meaty tyre for a 300plus wide MT which would have meant a special fabrication including the offset you need when you get to these kind of widths. Dealer Andy from Germany has the worlds A#1 wheel fabricator which makes them all the time as the Germans LOVE their big-O rear wheels but I got suddenly broke and couldnt come up with the 1200-1400 euros or so. Too many V8 parties.

:)
gaston 2005 502
Location: South Texas & Working Around the World, Across The Nation And Up Your Street

Rob, thanks for the reply, i talked to several at La Crosse and from information i received, you can either run the stock avon tire or a car tire on the stock boss hoss 15 inch wheel. I have after market 18 inch wheels and have been told by many as "Do Not Attempt to run a car tire on a motorcycle wheel. Stave H. stated he had Marv put one on his 18 inch motorcycle wheel as a test only and made a test ride and came back to Shop and noticed the tire turned on the wheel. So there are two different beads for bike wheels, car tire wheel, and motorcycle tire wheel. (Not including the stock BH wheel) The above knowledge was told to me, and i will use it as the gospel as i have been told the same from several members.
I am still wanting a car tire wheel and would like to get my design wheel cut to a car tire rim,,, just need a connection to a wheel manufacturer,, just don't want to have to pull a second mortgage to do it, anyone know where? or had any experience doing this? your advice and experience are appreciated.

Darryl
Darryl Campbell
502wingman

Post by 502wingman »

Sorry, but then these "several members" are simply wrong. Rob is right. As a matter of fact you can put a cartire on a motorcycle wheel and not a motorcycletire on a carwheel. If the tire is spinning on the wheel they are using a chromed rim and/or the wrong tire.

Peter
Peter the WingMan
Backnang, Germany
AR

Post by AR »

502wingman wrote:Sorry, but then these "several members" are simply wrong. Rob is right. As a matter of fact you can put a cartire on a motorcycle wheel and not a motorcycletire on a carwheel. If the tire is spinning on the wheel they are using a chromed rim and/or the wrong tire.

Peter
Pete,

did I mention you looked very handsome in the pics from PC this year.. 8-)
502wingman

Post by 502wingman »

Seems you are always right Rob..... :D :D :D ;) :oops:
Peter the WingMan
Backnang, Germany
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

Peter, I'm not sure about the tire/rim facts, but what I know is that "Pullman Wolfgang" had problems with a MC tire on a 96 car rim. He changed to the 230 Avon a couple of years ago on his ole bike and experienced a tire blow-out at 50 or so mph. The tire just "jumped" off the rim and blew all air out in a split second.

Andy Werner changed to a car tire for the legendary Ferrari Race last year. He used the same 17" rim he ran the 330 Avon before without any problems. After a couple of test runs at the airport they noticed that the tire was spinning on the wheel like Darryl said.

After all it doesn't seem to be a good idea to run a car tire on a MC rim either...

Olaf
502wingman

Post by 502wingman »

Yes Olaf, what Wolfgang did is exactly what you dont do. The Motorcyclerim has two "beds" to avoid the tire to come off in a curve. The cartire has only one "bed" so that why the tire "jumps" off quickly.
In my opinion the spinning that happend to Andy is a matter of tiresize and inflation etc. but at least it is not dangerous. This problem is also common at dragsterraces. May be they use some kind of a "glue" to avoid that.
As a bottom line, I guess this discussion only comes up because people want to avoid to buy another rim but I think it is worth it to use the right tire for the right rim :)

Peter
Peter the WingMan
Backnang, Germany
gaston 2005 502

i have no problem in buying another rim. My preference would be to be able to get the wheel i have, it's design cut in a car tire wheel. i like my current design, but if i have to i will switch wheel style as i want a safe car tire wheel. It would make it easier for me as i like my sprocket and front wheel, if i could get my rear wheel design cut in a car tire wheel config. other wise i will but a car tire rear wheel, try it out for a while and if everything is as expected, i will purchase matching front wheel and sprocket. would be nice if someone new a buddy in wheel fabrication, as then i may be able to get a reasonable one off price. otherwise i am working on getting dimensions to see if everything will fit under my fender as i also have aftermarket steel fenders, and if so, i will order soon. also thanks for the replies and experience guys.

Darryl
Darryl Campbell
502wingman

Post by 502wingman »

Daryll,
I think you can try your existing MC-rim without a problem. :)
Peter
Peter the WingMan
Backnang, Germany
EAGLE

Post by EAGLE »

I have the Chopper City 18" Diablo wheel on the Beast. Granted it is the old type that leak. The new ones aren't supposed to. I have gone through about two very wide car tires with no problems with the wheel.
Attachments
tnail7.jpg
tnail7.jpg (13.13 KiB) Viewed 2963 times
Eagle and Gil 008.jpg
Eagle and Gil 007.jpg
Sleep In Peace Tonight!
EAGLE!!!!!
AR

Post by AR »

EAGLE man,

do us a favor brother Unah...could you please take a close up pic of what the boys did to your rear fender up around the LHS shock and belt area. You got a 280 wide (?) on there right? They must have done some modifying to the fender cause that looks like its still the 2001 pro stock fender.

Aussiefahrt.
gaston 2005 502

it looks like so far i will be buying one from Marv and chopper city as i have checked alot of options. Eagle thanks for the time to post, would it be possible for you to take a shot of the edge of the rim of the wheel so i can compare to my 18 inch motorcycle wheel bead? i am limited as no one in south texas around me has a hoss,,,

Peter,
i am hesitant on trying it on my wheel as i have had several tell me to not try it on a motorcycle wheel. as i said i have aftermarket wheels made by ego tripp and the ass i may save is connected to me.:shock:
still at work and will be headed home sunday,, and i am friggin ready.
thanks in advance and thanks again for the posts and comments.

Signed,,
in search of a car tire wheel for the hoss, and it may be a long and winding road,,,,

Darryl
Darryl Campbell
hosszz4

Post by hosszz4 »

502wingman wrote:Seems you are always right Rob..... :D :D :D ;) :oops:
You're right Aussie Rob...my wife said Peter is handsome in 2006...must be why she wants to go to Pullman City again on 2009! :mrgreen:

hello peter....!

Cheers
Aldo
Voices in my head this week...Hendrix...Voodoo CHile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoAXW30m ... re=related
40 years later..I still get goose bumps listening to this!!