New Topic - Old Subject...Sabertooth

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

New Topic - Old Subject...Sabertooth

Post by CanuckHoss »

Anyone at all hear anything in the last 3 years about these guys?

Did some searching and they still have a website. They have a court case with Arctic Cat for name infringement... Wildcat..that is about it as far as I can find.

http://www.sabertoothmotorcycles.com/index.html
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
Puff

Re: New Topic - Old Subject...Sabertooth

Post by Puff »

I remember when Dr. Ben attended La Crosse
a few years ago. He had sketches of all the
Sabertooths he was planning to build.
The sketches/pictures looked great!
He was planning a 4-speed bike tranny.
Haven't seen them produced yet.....
:hmmmm:
Bill Van Sant

Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

I just drew a picture of my next bike. It has a 1500 HP V-16 and an 8 speed automatic. It weighs 400 pounds and will get 55 MPG. It will run on tap water and the exhaust will smell like cheeseburgers. It will cost 200 dollars to build.
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
misfit

Post by misfit »

I agree Boy Genius... I also have sketches of awesome V8 Bikes and a perpetual motion machine! Bought my first of 5 Bosses in 97. It was a '95 kit. Ever since I have been waiting and trying to think up something on my own that would be a bullet proof trans that would make a V8 bike perform like a V8 bike should...I'm somewhat familiar with your Ranger III build and think that's as close as it gets...
Jack

Post by Jack »

So, I've been thinking... my Hub City gearbox is a 2:1... no tranny really, just a clutch and then a fixed gear ratio 90* drive. Hub City makes variable ratio boxes and they also make FWD/REV boxes... I know most of you guys are done with clutches... but if the price was right, and you could bang gears - I don't see why not!
Also, CVT technology has come a long way... unfortunately it is becoming significantly more complex too, not sure if something like that would work outside of it's intended chassis... not sure if they have a stand-alone, or if the R&D to make one would would be worth it. Unless we make the motors shorter (dropping to 6 cylinders!) we still need as short of a tranny as possible. The turnoff of the Sabretooth, as I see it, is the long back end. I like my short and stout bike... now I just have to improve upon it.

(And just so you guys know just how crazy about this stuff I am - look at the tranmission in the HossFly... I already have one, just have to find a use for it :popcorn: )
1998 Wild One Custom - Homebuilt
Harris

Post by Harris »

Hey boy genius! Im still waiting for the "Fong-o Matic" transmission. You said it was in development. Wood gears made by your Amish associates. Hows that going? Im in for 1 but it has to fit a Ford.
The Mindless Philosopher

Post by The Mindless Philosopher »

Talk about a hijack and a half! I had so much fun reading the replies that I had to go back and read the OP to refresh myself on what it was really about! HA! Sadly, I have nothing useful or humorous to offer, except that their web site is still up and their Turbocat is the the stuff that dreams are made of. Take that any way you want.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I don’t disagree at all!
The bike that most closely aligns with my “dream” bike would be the Twin Turbo V8 Chopper though. Literally the same design I’ve drawn a dozen times for my bike, but they actually executed.
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

Jack wrote: The turnoff of the Sabretooth, as I see it, is the long back end. I like my short and stout bike... now I just have to improve upon it.
If you look at my bike, there is nothing that strikes anyone as odd. It looks like a stock BH, yet it has the same drive train as the Sabertooth. I don't get the stretch limo look, either.
It's just funny looking, IMHO
TXscooterguy

Post by TXscooterguy »

I'd ixnay the cheeseburger exhaust smell. The PETA people would shriek at the thought of a vehicle emitting the smell of grilled animal flesh. Why not retune the exhaust to smell more like pan fried tofu with shallots?
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Jack wrote:So, I've been thinking... my Hub City gearbox is a 2:1... no tranny really, just a clutch and then a fixed gear ratio 90* drive. Hub City makes variable ratio boxes and they also make FWD/REV boxes... I know most of you guys are done with clutches... but if the price was right, and you could bang gears - I don't see why not!
Also, CVT technology has come a long way... unfortunately it is becoming significantly more complex too, not sure if something like that would work outside of it's intended chassis... not sure if they have a stand-alone, or if the R&D to make one would would be worth it. Unless we make the motors shorter (dropping to 6 cylinders!) we still need as short of a tranny as possible. The turnoff of the Sabretooth, as I see it, is the long back end. I like my short and stout bike... now I just have to improve upon it.

(And just so you guys know just how crazy about this stuff I am - look at the tranmission in the HossFly... I already have one, just have to find a use for it :popcorn: )
LaFong solved the clutch problem, his works as easy as a new Harley.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Jack

Post by Jack »

My clutch is too, hydraulic at the handle to a cylinder which pushes a rod into the vacuum assist which then pushes on the clutch fork. I don't love it, but it works. If I could remove some of the complexity and just get the hydraulic to work without the assist, I would be happier. Something like an old school mousetrap, like on our Knuckle.

I think just having a clutch is a turn-off for some based off of what I've read here. I loved the automatic in the BH, just wished it was stronger. If I thought I could fit one in my bike and it would hold up to the abuse I have planned, I would seriously consider it.

Someday I'll throw my leg over a V8 Chopper, someday.
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

The clutch turn off is based on the old one speed. A lot of slipping is required to get one going. Clutch replacement was a yearly deal. The heel assist was clumsy and a PITA. The bikes aren't a lot of fun in traffic and low speed situations. A real transmission and a clutch that works is a game changer. My bike is as easy to ride as any bike. A mousetrap was the answer