Boss Hoss NHRA

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
Grand Canard

Boss Hoss NHRA

Post by Grand Canard »

Last year, we were in communications with Gray Racing team investigating sponsorship.

This is what pro stock team Gray sent me, would've been cool to have a BH trike pull that car to the line.
Attachments
IMG_0494.JPG

"Work when you have to,
Quit when you can.
Follow your dream
Be your own man.
Drink when you're thirsty
Whoop when you're high.
Love a good woman...
Ride till you die."
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Re: Boss Hoss NHRA

Post by CanuckHoss »

Grand Canard wrote:Last year, we were in communications with Gray Racing team investigating sponsorship.

This is what pro stock team Gray sent me, would've been cool to have a BH trike pull that car to the line.

HELL YEAH would have been awesome!!
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
Orlando606VetteTrike

Post by Orlando606VetteTrike »

That would have been so cool...
2008 606 Corvette Trike
wag

Post by wag »

I imagine I'll need a flack suit for this comment but I think it would be better to sell reasonably priced motorcycles.
TXscooterguy

Post by TXscooterguy »

wag wrote:I think it would be better to sell reasonably priced motorcycles.
I have a 2015 anniversary edition coupe ($39,999) with the LS-300 motor. I chatted with the Boss Hoss folks when they were set up at Sturgis, voicing my concern that they no longer offer that motor option. I have a disability that makes a trike with an automatic transmission ideal for me. I don't need 700 horsepower. I was told that when I'm ready to replace my 2015, Boss Hoss would be willing to build a trike with the smaller motor. I don't know if that comment still holds with all the changes in ownership, but if I wanted a new Boss Hoss and funds were tight, I'd call them and see what they could do to hold the price down.
wag

Post by wag »

I'm happy with my 2003 that I bought new unpainted for what I would call a reasonable price. I made it better as many do when they can afford it. Somebody made the comment that Boss Hoss has to convert some Harley riders to sell bikes, maybe true but the volume of people can't pay $50 grand and up no matter how nice the product. There's 2 or 3 awesome Bosses for sale on this site right now for around $25k so how is $50k plus going to sell?
Grand Canard

Post by Grand Canard »

TXscooterguy wrote:
wag wrote:I think it would be better to sell reasonably priced motorcycles.
I have a 2015 anniversary edition coupe ($39,999) with the LS-300 motor. I chatted with the Boss Hoss folks when they were set up at Sturgis, voicing my concern that they no longer offer that motor option. I have a disability that makes a trike with an automatic transmission ideal for me. I don't need 700 horsepower. I was told that when I'm ready to replace my 2015, Boss Hoss would be willing to build a trike with the smaller motor. I don't know if that comment still holds with all the changes in ownership, but if I wanted a new Boss Hoss and funds were tight, I'd call them and see what they could do to hold the price down.
Look and check for yourself on Summit Racing; a LS3 costs $7000, a zz4 costs $5000, a zz383 probably costs $5500. I’m talking about brand new GM performance crate engines, not some remanufactured crap.
What’s my point, $2000 spread between zz4 and LS3, a LS300 falls somewhere in the middle. FUCKING THINK! The factory can’t sell machines for $39900; especially not bikes; can buy 4 4L70’s for the cost of one Winters!

Here’s the honest reality, the Boss Hoss factory isn’t raping its customers, not even slightly, they are trying to survive.
You dickheads (I use dickheads loosely for effect, those who know me know I don’t mean anything by it ) whether riding V8 Chopper or Boss Hoss or Vanquish are riding the ultimate fucking motorcycles , a low volume, high dollar extreme niche ride that is for all practical purposes completely ridiculous, IT’s fucking expensive to manufacture, or to own / operate. In a milder sense kinda like owning a race car, EXPENSIVE.
I WAS HOOKED WHEN I TOOK MY FIRST DEMO RIDE.
Seriously, if money is an object, if money is very limited, you really ought to consider switching over to a Honda that will give u good or great reliability, and if it does break won’t break the bank.

I’m not trying or wanting to shame or insult anyone, without composing a damn thesis, it’s just the way it is.

For comparison, investigate owning a Ferrari, a used one for those with limited means. Even if u can afford the purchase price, you probably still fucking can’t afford to own it, maintenance and parts plus insurance will eat u alive.

Most of you out there are good guys, some even better than great guys, don’t be mad at me, I’m just venting what I perceive as reality.
Speaking of reality, I had no business buying BH, my pockets weren’t deep enough to bring BH down the long road and back into the black; I truly wish the new owners the best and sincerely hope they exceed their wildest dreams.

Rick
Last edited by Grand Canard on Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

"Work when you have to,
Quit when you can.
Follow your dream
Be your own man.
Whoop when you're high.
Love a good woman...
Ride till you die."
TXscooterguy

Post by TXscooterguy »

Grand Canard wrote:I’m not trying or wanting to shame or insult anyone,
Rick, I don't think you are. Maybe I'm the only non-rich dickhead that kicked a big hole in his 401(k) to be able to ride this magnificent beast. Buy a Ferrari? Shit, I couldn't swing a used Dodge Hellcat. Okay, I'll let you deep pocket boys continue this discussion. I'll keep quiet.
wag

Post by wag »

Glad I bought mine when I did, truth is they aren't going to sell much like I said with great used stuff out there that isn't selling.
randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

Good post Ricky...Although I'm not in the market to replace my Big Block, I appreciate all the new innovative ideas your vision created, And Boss Hoss is better today because of you. Also wish the new owners the best of luck!
phpBB [video]
Ron Radulski

Post by Ron Radulski »

We should all be optimistic IMHO with new ownership at Boss Hoss. I'm not knocking Ricky at his attempt to bring the company back, or am I praising the new owner. Time will tell. Blue Print engines in NE is offering a better engine warranty than GM crate engines installed in Boss Hosses. Back in 08 when I bought my brand new ZZ4 trike, the dealer said it had a 1 year 12,000 mile warranty, yet when you look up GM Performance Division warranties, the ZZ4 had a 2 year 24,000 mile warranty. I told my dealer that and he said he would look into it. At the time (08) he said GM would only be doing the 1 year 12,000 mile warranty when sold to Boss Hoss. Go figure! It's probably because of the modifications BH did when installing the GM crate engines to the BH bikes and trikes. With that being said, BH now can reduce the cost of the bikes and trikes by using an independent supplier, in this case, Blue Print Engines. The kicker, with a better engine warranty, which might help improve sales. Another thing I found out while talking to the new owners at the BH Rally, the trike transmission is no longer being reconditioned by TCI. General Motors is now doing the reconditioning! Again, this is MY personal opinion. (maybe I am praising them somewhat) TIME WILL TELL!
Last edited by Ron Radulski on Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Why can't they sell kits?
Let the guy blow his load on the roller, tranny, tins, controls.... and he can pick up an LS motor for $500 from the junkyard and have his neighbor paint it.
Put it in a crate, ship it, let them sort it out. I'm sure your dealer network wouldn't mind the work when these guys can't quite get them together or need some finishing touches.

Funny reference to the Hellcat... I have one, and I still can't fathom spending $50k on a bike. Shit, I can't imagine $30k on a bike...
1998 Wild One Custom - Homebuilt
ventury

Post by ventury »

Jack,i agree.in Australia that was the only way for years,buying a kit.this gives a start entry for the technical savvy folk,,,or the hook for Boss Hoss addiction
To just jump straight into the high end price of the BH world is a big jump,,,kits appealed on so many levels

John
Grand Canard

Post by Grand Canard »

Jack wrote:Why can't they sell kits?
Let the guy blow his load on the roller, tranny, tins, controls.... and he can pick up an LS motor for $500 from the junkyard and have his neighbor paint it.
Put it in a crate, ship it, let them sort it out. I'm sure your dealer network wouldn't mind the work when these guys can't quite get them together or need some finishing touches.

Funny reference to the Hellcat... I have one, and I still can't fathom spending $50k on a bike. Shit, I can't imagine $30k on a bike...
In the past, transmissions was the issue, couldn’t get one, Nesco wouldn’t sell u one; times have changed, I think.
Unless I’m mistaken, you can buy a Winters, build yourself a bike.
Get after it.

Rick
Attachments
CBC470BF-2B21-4882-A2BA-1145529966AC.jpeg

"Work when you have to,
Quit when you can.
Follow your dream
Be your own man.
Whoop when you're high.
Love a good woman...
Ride till you die."
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

BOSS HOSS or V8 CHOPPER can not sell the bikes much cheaper then they are now using new motors and transmissions, forks, frames, lights, wheels etc and paying for someone to put them together and paying for all the overhead that goes into manufacturing the product. In my view a cheaper motor by a couple of grand won't make much difference. I sold many V8 Choppers (BIKES) and the folks that bought them NEW could afford them, price was not the deciding factor, at least with bikes. Trikes were different and many buyers for them were definitely price conscious. i never financed even ONE sale of a bike yet many trike buyers wanted financing. In any case those of us that are bike buyers with trike buyers pocket books will probably buy something else or buy used. The problem for Boss Hoss in my opinion is they will never sell many bikes and the trikes will have to be their main product. If you want a GOOD bike you have to have the WINTERS trans and that aint cheap, if you can afford a Winters trans you can probably afford what ever motor you want. Another words you can have whatever you want so Boss Hoss better make something that will attract buyers with deep pockets for the bike market because V8 Chopper is also selling bad ass bikes to the same group of customers and have been for years. Personally I don't care who owns Boss Hoss or how nice the bikes are its going to be real rough to make it a profitable business unless they can sell a shitload of trikes. Trikes are cheaper to build but they still aint cheap and many trike buyers are not rich. It will be interesting to say the least to see what happens. I feel lucky to have my old Boss Hoss and see no reason why it can't outlast me.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Grand Canard

Post by Grand Canard »

SQ4MN wrote:BOSS HOSS or V8 CHOPPER can not sell the bikes much cheaper then they are now using new motors and transmissions, forks, frames, lights, wheels etc and paying for someone to put them together and paying for all the overhead that goes into manufacturing the product. In my view a cheaper motor by a couple of grand won't make much difference. I sold many V8 Choppers (BIKES) and the folks that bought them NEW could afford them, price was not the deciding factor, at least with bikes. Trikes were different and many buyers for them were definitely price conscious. i never financed even ONE sale of a bike yet many trike buyers wanted financing. In any case those of us that are bike buyers with trike buyers pocket books will probably buy something else or buy used. The problem for Boss Hoss in my opinion is they will never sell many bikes and the trikes will have to be their main product. If you want a GOOD bike you have to have the WINTERS trans and that aint cheap, if you can afford a Winters trans you can probably afford what ever motor you want. Another words you can have whatever you want so Boss Hoss better make something that will attract buyers with deep pockets for the bike market because V8 Chopper is also selling bad ass bikes to the same group of customers and have been for years. Personally I don't care who owns Boss Hoss or how nice the bikes are its going to be real rough to make it a profitable business unless they can sell a shitload of trikes. Trikes are cheaper to build but they still aint cheap and many trike buyers are not rich. It will be interesting to say the least to see what happens. I feel lucky to have my old Boss Hoss and see no reason why it can't outlast me.
Dave, you're spot-on; a grand for a junkyard motor won't make a big difference if you were going to build a bike from scratch. The cost of all of the components, front-end, swingarms, transmissions, brake rotors and calipers, relays, fuse panels, tires and wheels, bearings, mirrors, handle bars, wiring, signals, fuel systems, ignition or EFI systems, changing parts on engine to fit your bike, gaskets, fittings, ..........the list is long.
Maybe if you bought a salvage bike, fixed it, or able to source the majority of parts used, then maybe it might be affordable. There some people out there that have the skill to build something awesome; that trike build that is on this forum (forget the blokes name) is a bad-ass build, very impressive, remarkable.
The thing about V8 Choppers is that each one is a custom build, truly beautiful especially when the paint and trim is over the top; Boss Hoss is more along the lines of a production bike, you'll have to trick it out after you buy it if you want something custom.
Bike sales are down for the industry as a whole, men aren't men anymore, at least not the same caliber of my grandfathers generation, now a large percentage of men are trans-sexual / metro-sexual, limp-wristed faggot ladyboys who don't know which bathroom to use; remember that post a while back regarding Harley opening coffee shops?? WTF? I guess if Harley opened a real mans joint with female strippers (sorry lady-boys), bare knuckle fighting, etc too few would come.
Rick

"Work when you have to,
Quit when you can.
Follow your dream
Be your own man.
Whoop when you're high.
Love a good woman...
Ride till you die."
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

I agree , aside from the old gray beard bikers left most new bikers nowadays can't compare and I don't think they want to . They go out and buy a new Road glide and go to the bike nights with the rest of the RUBS wearing their new chaps and do rags and pretend their bikers . My generation we had some hick bar we would frequent , drink , pick up chick's and if we had to fight . That's what we called fun .
That's why aside from my old biker friends I'm a loner .
Orlando606VetteTrike

Post by Orlando606VetteTrike »

Rick the statement about this new breed of guys is SO spot on. That is the point I keep trying to make with the future of Boss. If you go to the drag strips you’ll notice the younger breed is interested in turbo 4 & 6 cylinder vehicles. When I ride my bike block into places, it’s never the young guys interested in it. So, I feel Boss is going to have a upward climb in keeping bike sales up as the older crop of guys discontinue to ride. But like the rest of you I hope and pray Boss figures things out and continues to stay around. :-)
2008 606 Corvette Trike
TXscooterguy

Post by TXscooterguy »

hogv8 wrote:That's why aside from my old biker friends I'm a loner.
Amen! It's been a long time since I've ridden next to someone. I bought my first bike in 1964. I was 16 and had to hit my Grandmother up for a loan because my folks were against my buying a "murdercycle." As riders become old farts, a lot fall away for various reasons. Only a small fraction of my high mileage friends still own bikes much less ride them. But several times when I was in a gas station restroom, a rider outside of Mama's hearing would ask questions about the trike. I'd hear the same story - I want to continue riding with Mama but she ain't getting any lighter and I ain't getting any stronger. I agree with SQ4MN that "trikes will have to be their main product."
Paul H

Post by Paul H »

Boss Hoss bike selling price???
Better check with Tom at Mountain Boss Hoss.
He sure seems to know how to build, dress up
and sell a Boss Hoss bikes or trikes. AND I guess
he makes a profit???

Paul H
Grand Canard

Post by Grand Canard »

orlando502 wrote:Rick the statement about this new breed of guys is SO spot on. That is the point I keep trying to make with the future of Boss. If you go to the drag strips you’ll notice the younger breed is interested in turbo 4 & 6 cylinder vehicles. When I ride my bike block into places, it’s never the young guys interested in it. So, I feel Boss is going to have a upward climb in keeping bike sales up as the older crop of guys discontinue to ride. But like the rest of you I hope and pray Boss figures things out and continues to stay around. :-)
Me personally, I'm cool with a twin turbo V4 putting out 900hp in a bike; could fit it all inside the frame of a small block, would be bad-ass by my standards.
Having said that, I'd rather install turbo's on a V8.
I'm pretty sure that I'm going to modify Berzerkers 7.7 liter engine so can install twin turbo's producing 1800+ hp.
Rick

"Work when you have to,
Quit when you can.
Follow your dream
Be your own man.
Whoop when you're high.
Love a good woman...
Ride till you die."
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to modify Berzerkers 7.7 liter engine so can install twin turbo's producing 1800+ hp.

I guess too much power isn't enough ;)
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
TXscooterguy

Post by TXscooterguy »

Grand Canard wrote:I'm pretty sure that I'm going to modify Berzerkers 7.7 liter engine so can install twin turbo's producing 1800+ hp.

You might want to check with a good opthamologist about having structural bracing installed inside your eyeballs. With that kind of horsepower, the acceleration without the bracing will cause your eyeballs to flatten and you won't see shit.
Puff

Post by Puff »

But if you flatten the eyeballs,
then you are no longer near-sighted !!
:eye_crazy: :mrgreen:
Bill Van Sant

Ron Radulski

Post by Ron Radulski »

He must be out to beat Marv in the 1/4 mile!