Front Tire Wear - What's Your Typical Mileage?

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
Wild Bill

Front Tire Wear - What's Your Typical Mileage?

Post by Wild Bill »

Avon has done away with the Venom-X front tire that many of us have been using on our Boss Hoss Motorcycles. Their newly redesigned front tires, the "Cobra" and "Cobra Trike" no longer have the center groove which sometimes caused the front tire to wander on grooved road surfaces as well as other new features.

Also, this new tire has a 15,000 mile warranty. This got me thinking... I don't get anywhere near 15k miles on my (now discontinued) Avon Venom-X front tires. What mileage do you guys & gals typically get?

Of course, you have to read the fine print on this prorated warranty... tires much be installed by a motorcycle service center, warranty duration is two years, etc.

This might be old news to some here, but it was the first I had head of it last Summer while at Sturgis & spoke to the Avon rep there. Just now getting around to ordering a new front tire.

Anyway, this sounds like a nice step forward for Avon. I am anxious to try their Cobra tire.

http://www.avonmoto.com/products/cruise ... stom/cobra

Wild Bill
"A true hotrodder wouldn't be content until he had created a vehicle so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo
502wingman

Re: Front Tire Wear - What's Your Typical Mileage?

Post by 502wingman »

Hi Bill,
I went through several of the Cobras and I really liked them. Still stayed with the 230 AM 2? in the rear.

The Cobra in the front handles really nice but milage wise it is rather less than the old style tires. On twisty European roads you get 4-5000 miles the most. That includes using the rear brake more than the front brake. Very likely you get more miles on the American highways but I doubt 15000.

Hope you are doing well. Peter
Peter the WingMan
Backnang, Germany
V8Bikers
Site Admin

Post by V8Bikers »

Bill, I have gotten between 5-8k on average with the BB's mostly running Metzelers. Using a car tire makes this worse as you are frequently riding with a slight tilt. Mine, now, with about 3k is getting close to the wear bars on a 1" section on the left. Will definitely consider the Cobra next.

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
able to be a fucking man here. Thanks Bill" - Grand Canard
johnny redneck

Post by johnny redneck »

Bill; I got about 11,000 miles on the Cobra front tire and the back tire about 5,500 miles I do run a 300 on the back.
John