Let's Talk Transmissions ... and other stuff

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
petitemoose

Let's Talk Transmissions ... and other stuff

Post by petitemoose »

Spent some time with Ricky, His brother and a long time friend of theirs this past week.
I will share what we discussed as best as I can recall and others can chime in to either verify they heard the same thing or Dispute my version and offer their own ...

Transmissions seem to be a VERY hot topic for BH owners and I am excited to share that not only did I see the Transmission that Tom from MBH has been developing, I have touched it, watched a friend pick it up to check the weight and talked about it with Tom. It is ready, good to go, finished and waiting to be installed. The transmission was real world tested and passed with flying rubber. Tom told me that not only can the tranny be "hot" shifted and live but he was doing a burnout and shifted into 2nd and the tire never stopped burning rubber. BTW .. he seriously advised against it, not because of tranny damage but because of tire speed ... Think about it ;) Before you ask, I was told that the price will be released in a few weeks after he finishes conversation with JW.

Talked with Ricky and The current Nesco "D" Transmissions are being produced as you read this. They are expecting 5 to be delivered in 2 weeks and 15 to be delivered a few weeks after that. They are NOT being made by Nesco but are being made by TCI. Many of us are very familiar with TCI as they have been around for quite a while. This tells me that BH owns the rights to the tranny ( assumed, NOT told )

Ricky and Tom have had conversations and what those entailed and what deals were or were not made are not known by me. Even if they were, I would not share unless specifically given permission by both parties.

Summary ... Parts for existing "Nesco" transmissions are available as are complete transmissions for new bikes (and Fubar'd ones). An upgraded, almost grenade-proof 2 speed tranny good for 1000 hp is also available but for the next few weeks you will have to send a signed blank check to get it :)

The new 525hp LS3 bike that was on display was sold to a gentleman in NY. Do not know if the trike was sold but even if it was, it will not be delivered until they Install a Torque Converter with a little more stall to tame the beast between sprints.

The tunes that are currently on the new bikes need some more adjustments. This will happen soon as BH will be shipping a couple bikes to Brian's shop for some Dyno tuning as well as real world running. The tunes they have now are "just the beginning" according to Brian.

Changes are coming to the BH brand. Not only will the web site be updated, clothing available and transmissions produced, but they are going to be working on designing an all new Touring bike. Not just an existing bike with a fairing and saddle bags thrown on it. They will have built in Nav, radio, cruise control etc. ( This came to me 2nd hand by a Friend that talked to Ricky so take it with a grain of salt until it has been verified by others )

The current bikes will be getting much needed tweaks and improvements that were mentioned in the other thread as well as some pretty cool subtle things Ricky and I discussed that will make the new bikes more Owner friendly.

I could ramble on forever but I will end with this. After talking to the Dietz's, it is obvious that they are passionate about the BH brand. They are hitting the ground running, taking notes and working relentlessly to make the BH brand the best they can. Ricky endured 9 days of people whining, bitching and moaning about stuff he had nothing to do with and took it like a man. The recurring theme I heard from all the new red shirts was," If you have or had a problem, tell us. We can't fix what we don't know about". With an attitude like that, things can't help but change for the better.

All I ask is that if / when you do share an issue, do it respectfully and with an attitude of constructive criticism and not that of a whiny little bitch looking for "free fries at McDonalds"

That is all, I now return you to the Friday Titty Pics thread already in Progress ...
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
Mark

Re: Let's Talk Transmissions ... and other stuff

Post by Mark »

Dennis,

great summary, great news - thanks for the heads up! Do you have any pictures of the new "holy grail" you touched?

Mark
502wingman

Post by 502wingman »

Well explained Dennis. My thinking but you put it in words.

No pictures Mark. All is still a secret ;) and nothing is confirmed at this point.
Peter the WingMan
Backnang, Germany
3FOR2

Post by 3FOR2 »

Dennis,
Thanks so much for the write-up, well done. I don't know Ricky, but I know his "type" - failure isn't an option - what he perceives, he accomplishes, no matter what. Boss Hoss is going through a resurrection. It's exciting to watch. Boss Hoss will no longer be on the peripherals, known mostly for its shortcomings, but a household word, the Best of the Best, the Baddest of the Bad. In the distant future, way on the horizon, instead of those FREAKING Can Am commercials, I can see a Boss Hoss commercial...
Pat.
2013 Pickup, LS3-445 with Hot Cam
craig haymaker

Post by craig haymaker »

Absolutely a GREAT write up Dennis, thanks for that wonderful news Sir ! Yes, it is truly exciting times for Boss Hoss and their compassionate followers. Craig H.
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Thanks Dennis,

We are riding a crest of a new BH wave, life pumped in and secondaries operating. Looking forward to chewing the fat in Harz.
Gordon from England
Swiss V8

Post by Swiss V8 »

Thanks Dennis for this great review!

I'm so happy Rick, his brother and the BH team is looking forward and trying to get new things done! :thumbup:
Martin

BHRA President Europe
randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

Moose, Thank you for the nice summary of the current events happening at the factory, and future developments..Sounds good..Good luck to all involved..
phpBB [video]
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Dennis, that was a great write up and loaded with great information. I met Ricky when I first rode bought my bike. A few of us went on a ride to a mountain area in Southern California. I talked with him some and was impressed with his attitude about many things. I believe him and his crew will do great things for Boss Hoss and the V8 bike world in general. The guys that own these bikes already are really lucky that Ricky bought this company because now we will be in a position to keep them running forever. The lucky guys that get the new ones will be thrilled. It also opens the door to be able to sell the older ones if a guy wanted to move up to a new one. No one would want an older one if he thought that the transmission could never be fixed. All in all your write up is really exciting and coming from you I believe everything you said. Its not coming from a dealer or someone that puts a slant on things for some other reason. Thanks again.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Dennis nailed the summary very well....

The trike and bike idled pretty much the same but to me the trike sounded nastier through the longer pipes...I could live with that trike for sure..

One thing I noticed about the trike when Rick and his wife were leaving the truck for the ride was that when idling in drive...and stopped....they and the trike were actually moving up and down with that idle...these things don't idle steadily like a 502..they surge a bit if that is the right word...those who heard them can maybe explain better.

Of course we need to remember that this is my "slanted" opinion of things..lol
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

Barry, The trike was in fact surging up and down. It was doing that because the stall in the Torque Converter was too small so at idle the trike was trying to move forward against the brakes. Another 200 to 400 rpm higher stall converter will fix that and you will have an AWESOME street machine!

Thank You all for the kind words :)
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
Swiss V8

Post by Swiss V8 »

Dennis, I posted your 'speech' in the German forum with a short translation.

There was one question I don't have an answer:
What's the 'Winter' tranny?
Is the 'Winter' tranny the one from Tom at MBH or is it a third party tranny made to fit the actual one?
Martin

BHRA President Europe
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

Swiss V8 wrote:Dennis, I posted your 'speech' in the German forum with a short translation.

There was one question I don't have an answer:
What's the 'Winter' tranny?
Is the 'Winter' tranny the one from Tom at MBH or is it a third party tranny made to fit the actual one?
Yes, It is the one Tom had made. It is a direct Bolt In replacement capable of handling up to 1000hp without breaking
502wingman

Post by 502wingman »

and yes again: it has the lower oilpan too.
Peter the WingMan
Backnang, Germany
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

502wingman wrote:and yes again: it has the lower oilpan too.

Too low oil pan , Tom said they are working on a way to raise it somehow .
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Not sure why Tom would have designed the low oil pan...it is not like he did not know it was lower in design stage...time will tell where all this tranny talk will end up I guess....
CanuckHoss

502wingman

Post by 502wingman »

sorry for my bad English. They raised the oilpan to the old style. By "low" I meant not "deep" like the first trials. :oops:
So the oilpan is now the way it should be. Perfect.
Peter the WingMan
Backnang, Germany
2crzy

Post by 2crzy »

CanuckHoss wrote:Not sure why Tom would have designed the low oil pan...it is not like he did not know it was lower in design stage...time will tell where all this tranny talk will end up I guess....

Tom didn't design it. Tom took the old Nesco to Winters about 10 years ago and in the last 4 years Vohn Winters got at redesigning it. This is what Vohn came up with. They only built 2 of them and Tom got one to test. The pan was to low so last year Tom went back to Winters and they raised the pan area up so it doesn't hang down below the skid plate. The other trans is on Winters shelf.
Winters don't know what Tom is going to do with the trans in the future with them.
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

2crzy wrote:
CanuckHoss wrote:Not sure why Tom would have designed the low oil pan...it is not like he did not know it was lower in design stage...time will tell where all this tranny talk will end up I guess....

Tom didn't design it. Tom took the old Nesco to Winters about 10 years ago and in the last 4 years Vohn Winters got at redesigning it. This is what Vohn came up with. They only built 2 of them and Tom got one to test. The pan was to low so last year Tom went back to Winters and they raised the pan area up so it doesn't hang down below the skid plate. The other trans is on Winters shelf.
Winters don't know what Tom is going to do with the trans in the future with them.
I knew there was an issue with ground clearance on the first one Tom had...
CanuckHoss

wag

Post by wag »

I'm just curious....when Nesco was building the trannies we had the option of shipping our units to them and they would rebuilt completely for a reasonable price.
I'm wondering if eventually TCI will offer something similar. Or maybe an exchange of some kind.
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

wag wrote:I'm just curious....when Nesco was building the trannies we had the option of shipping our units to them and they would rebuilt completely for a reasonable price.
I'm wondering if eventually TCI will offer something similar. Or maybe an exchange of some kind.
Wag..

There are dealers out there rebuilding trannys..Marv at Chopper City, Tom at Mountain and Tim at Boss Hoss Concepts...I think there may be others...they all do an awesome job...

I do know that Nesco cut corners when they rebuilt trannys...
CanuckHoss

SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Its been a long time since I heard of someone losing the tranny. Years ago it was every month.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

SQ4MN wrote:Its been a long time since I heard of someone losing the tranny. Years ago it was every month.
I wonder why that is . Stronger trannys or it took a while for owners to finally realize they had to be less abusive and more conscious of maintenance like cooling and monitoring trans temp .
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

hogv8 wrote:
SQ4MN wrote:Its been a long time since I heard of someone losing the tranny. Years ago it was every month.
I wonder why that is . Stronger trannys or it took a while for owners to finally realize they had to be less abusive and more conscious of maintenance like cooling and monitoring trans temp .
Jack, it could be that without Adrian and Tom we just don't hear about it anymore. The LS engines are more powerful then our old ZZ4 engines so I would expect even slightly more failures. It could be that the trans was improved enough to not fail very often. I remember something about a part that was welded and wasn't always concentric being replaced by one that was always concentric which used to cause eventual destruction. It could be owner awareness but some in the old days claimed they babied their bike and still the trans failed, some more than once and some more than twice. We were all sure ours was next.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Well for whatever reason my A model 2 speed works as good now as it did new . 80 some thousand miles and still counting and also knocking on wood .