SPOKE TO CRAZY RICK...

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
Els

SPOKE TO CRAZY RICK...

Post by Els »

It was time to see how Crazy Rick was getting along so I gave him a call a few days back. He had just got out of the hospital which I didn't know. Last I saw him was just before he flew out from Daytona March 5th I believe. He's been through a bunch on this one.

Details aren't important but suffice it to say, his injury has been dangerously close to life threatening. I believe Rick was a short throw from having suffered either seriously disabling injury or worse. Very thankfully, he seems to be on the road to recovery but not without LOTS of pain and just being really sick.

As we talked, we discussed what we've both felt with respect to helmets and head injury. He, like myself, often used the argument that the lid could save our life to the point of having to be spoon fed and dribbling all over ourself which we would never want. That may be the case when going down with a helmet at 100 mph. With respect to going down at 30 mph, it could be an entirely different scenario. That could be the difference between the above case, or a bruised and bleeding brain (as in Rick's case) or walking away with some busted up ribs but A-1 upstairs in the brain center dept. Most of my riding is the 30 mph variety by the way. What's yours?

I had a spill myself about 6 months ago and hit my head as I slammed to the pavement at about 40 mph. I also busted some ribs and had some bruises and such. My helmet sports a pretty nice scuff mark where my left temple is above the eye. Since, I have worn the lid every ride except one short one in Daytona and that was stupid. That ride I saw right in front of me a Honda and a HD collide at a red light and both drivers slam to the pavement.

Rick's legacy to ME on this is to remember to wear my helmet always...after years of not doing so when in states that don't require it. I still fully support the individual right to decide without Uncle doing so for us.

Rick reads the boards and was very appreciative for the support and care shown by the V8 brotherhood in Daytona and online. I'm sure glad he cheated what could have been worse and he'll definitely be back in the saddle being himself hopefully soon. Just wanted to let anyone know who wasn't clued in that he was and still is a pretty sick pup.

Elliot
Last edited by Els on Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image...Todd, North Carolina
Image Image Image
Tom

Re: SPOKE TO CRAZY RICK...

Post by Tom »

Thanks for the update Els..... Heal well Rick. Look forward to seeing you soon.
AR

Post by AR »

Hey Rick..been thinking of you every day mate and good to hear you aint "retiring" yet 8-)

Many thanks for the report Els.
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Hey Rick, When you feel up to it give me a call. Meanwhile I am praying for you to get well with the least pain possible. I had a great time with you in Tucson and am looking forward to getting together again in Miami. Dave/Squirm

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Ric

Post by Ric »

I guess then, that this gig would be equivelent to a 'ride' on your Reserve chute then? Close, but no cigar!

I'm guessing you are 'old soldier' enough to get through the misery of discomfort... But It's a relief you are fairing out pretty decent.

Usually, I take my helmet off on some of my U.S. rides, in states that don't care... and still might do that... however, here in the land of Igloos... we are required to wear helmets... and they recently passed legislation that we have to wear snowshoes now. Shifting into second is a bit awkward, so is braking... but we'll adapt.

Thank goodness you are on the mend, my brudda!!!!

"Keep the magic alive!" He said.

Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, Canada
502wingman

Post by 502wingman »

I wish you well to recover full and fast my friend. Still lots of things to do :)

Peter
Peter the WingMan
Backnang, Germany
Swiss V8

Post by Swiss V8 »

I also wish you a good recovery!

Don't jump in to fast again, take your time! This way you can keep up the 'Crazy stuff' :mrgreen:
Martin

BHRA President Europe
Redtro

Post by Redtro »

Knowing Rick, he probably went sky diving recently disregarding his Doctors' advice and caused a relapse! :shock:

Just kidding, get well soon my friend.
NcChopper

Post by NcChopper »

I hope you are feeling better soon, Rick. Hang in there!

Chris
Boom Boom & Rockstar

Post by Boom Boom & Rockstar »

Damn didn't know Rick was hurt..get well Crazy man..Boom and Rock
Crazy Rick

Post by Crazy Rick »

Hello everyone, thanks for the kind words and prayers. I am doing much, much better now. The first 16 - 18 days or so was not any fun at all. I came home and was getting worse each day. I've been getting better each day sense about three days after getting out from the second hospital stay. Still a little dingy, but as my wife says "how does one know". ;)

I hope to be strong enough to start working on the bike soon. Not messed up bad at all as I was not going fast.

But it is amazing how little it takes to FK Up your brain. I DID NOT EVEN have a bump on my head. Not even where the staples were. I've had big knots on my head in the past from just bumping into something.

Oh well, we all know this stuff can kill you, wouldn't be half as much fun if it was safe. :)

Thanks again everyone,
CR
Only those who have been OVER the edge, know where the edge actually is. The rest of you are just guessing !!
MY Retirement Plan is to "DIE BEFORE RETIREMENT"

CR http://photos.v8bikeservice.com/
KISS

Post by KISS »

SOOOO nice to see You back again CR ! ! ! :D :D :D

Just take it easy,if you can!!!!
B.mucher

Post by B.mucher »

Hey Rick sorry I didn't know you have been hurt. I'm sure glad to hear you are doing well. And yes I too left off my helmet a few times in states that didn't require you to where one.

I had also seen what can happen with out the helmet. 100 plus well you are kind of one your own I don't think your helmet will help to much there but who knows. But at slower speeds it really does make a difference.

Heal quik Brad